Does My Insurance Cover Catheters?

health insurance graphic

Without health insurance, single-use medical supplies, such as intermittent catheters, can be expensive. If your doctor has recommended intermittent catheterization, you may be concerned about how you’re going to afford catheters. Luckily, your health insurance plan may be able to cover a portion or the entire cost of your catheters and catheter supplies. To learn more, Patient Care Medical has compiled the top questions patients have about insurance coverage.

Request Free Samples

What is the cost of catheters?

The cost of catheters will depend on which health insurance plan you have. While most insurance providers cover the full cost of sterile, single-use catheters, others may have a deductible you need to meet before they begin covering the cost. 

Does my insurance cover catheters?

Yes — in the majority of cases, catheters will be covered by Medicare, Medicaid, or your private insurance provider. In the case that you do not have an insurance provider, or if catheters are not covered, Patient Care Medical offers lesser known brands of equal quality that may be more affordable for those paying out-of-pocket.

Will Medicaid pay for my catheters?

In most cases, you’ll be able to receive your catheters at little to no cost. Medicaid coverage for catheters varies among states, and some may have a deductible you must meet or a maximum amount you can receive per month. Some states may also have restrictions as to which type of catheter you’re able to obtain through Medicaid. To be sure what your state’s Medicaid will cover, call Patient Care Medical at (888) 726-5066.

Will Medicare pay for my catheters?

Medicare (Part B) covers up to 200 intermittent catheters and sterile lubrication packages per month. The amount that is covered will depend on what your doctor prescribes. If your doctor suggests you cath three times a day, you can obtain 90 catheters every 30 days. After your annual deductible is met, Medicare will pay for 80% of your intermittent catheters’ cost. If you have an additional insurance plan besides Medicare, the private insurance will likely cover the other 20%.

To find out more about what catheter supplies are covered and can be combined with your intermittent catheter order, contact Patient Care Medical.

Will my private insurance pay for my catheters?

Without verifying your private insurance, it’s difficult to provide an accurate quote for the cost of catheters. With thousands of different insurance plans across the country, deductibles and coverage vary greatly. Give us a call at (888) 726-5066 to discuss your plan and we’ll help you understand the coverage you have.

Do I have to file my own health insurance claim?

No! When you order your catheter supplies from Patient Care Medical, we will file your health insurance claim as part of our commitment to excellent customer service.

What do I do if I have more questions?

If you have more questions about whether your insurance will cover your catheters and catheter supplies, call Patient Care Medical at (888) 726-5066. You’ll talk to a live person instead of an automated machine. You may also fill out our contact form below. We’ll answer all your questions and help you place your first order of catheters when you’re ready.